Amor y Deseo at Heartville High Facilitators' Guide
The characters in Amor y Deseo tackle some sensitive personal issues. Before listening to the novela or attempting the following class activities, it
is important to establish an environment of mutual respect. An easy and effective way of doing this is by leading the following exercise.
Say to the class: Before getting started, I would like your attention as we take into consideration the variety of people who are in this room today.
You can read the following statements to the students, or you can pass around a sheet of paper so that the students take turns reading the statements.
- We in this room may be HIV positive, negative or not know our HIV status.
- We in this room may be having sex or choosing not to.
- We in this room might identify as gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning or curious.
- We in this room might use abstinence, monogamy, condoms or luck as our main form of protection.
- We in this room may have never been pregnant, have already been pregnant, are pregnant, or have put our partners at risk of pregnancy.
- We in the room may be sober and clean, a recreational user, a binger, and alcoholic or a drug addict.
- We in this room may know a little, a lot, or nothing at all about STD transmission and prevention.
- We in this room agree to recognize each other's similarities and differences and to treat each other with respect and dignity.